Analysis of CO2 recovery and utilization systems. Nature-based solutions NBS. Education and research program with the Universidad de Barcelona
Objective of the education and research program
To make relevant scientific-technical information on carbon management technologies and their potential for CO2 reduction and removal available to society, making a comparative analysis of relevant techno-economic factors for their deployment on a large scale.
Why CO2 capture and utilization?
There is too much carbon dioxide polluting the atmosphere and warming our planet. Removing carbon allows us to extract excess carbon and store it safely in order to restore a healthy balance in the atmosphere.
Carbon removal includes a wide range of methods, from land and forest management to other technologies and processes that require engineering development.
CO2 capture and utilization is necessary for various reasons:
- To make faster progress in the reduction of CO2 emissions
- Because there are some industrial sectors (aviation, steel, and cement) where technologies to avoid greenhouse gas emissions have not yet been developed.
- Because all climate forecasts indicate that, in addition to eliminating CO2 emissions, it will be necessary to remove the CO2 already in the atmosphere in order to achieve the goal set in the Paris Agreement of limiting global warming to 1.5ºC.
Lines of work 2023
- CO2 Capture and Storage (CCS) technologies in industrial processes.
- Negative Emission Technologies (NET) and their potential to remove CO2 from the atmosphere.
- The use of CO2 for neutral or negative emissions.
- The regulatory framework to enable the deployment of Negative Emissions Technologies.
Lines of work 2022
- Observation of COP26 progress on combating deforestation.
- COP26 agreements related to greenhouse gases (GHG), such as carbon and methane markets.
- Critical materials and increased demand in a clean energy system.
- Mariano Marzo Carpio, Professor at the Universidad de Barcelona